1.27.2009

Morningside

Post graduation is an interesting time in life. I am done with school yet I am in this sort of holding tank here in Fort Worth until I move onto the "next thing." I have spent a lot of time thinking back over my experience here; what has it taught me, how have I changed, was it worth it, was this what the Lord wanted? This 3 years here was definitely not the easiest time in my life. But if there is one thing that I know for sure, no matter how many times I go over it in my head, is that the Lord gave me the job I have now. I was not looking for a job like mine, in fact, I didn't even know it existed. I just knew I needed a job when I moved here. And one of my first nights there, through a series of weird connections, this guy I only met briefly, knocks on my door and says, "Hey, do you want a job?" I had no idea what I was doing or what it was about and when I look back on that I don't really even remember thinking about it or how I decided I would do it, I just know that I did and it has changed my life. This is my third year working at Morningside Middle School, an inner-city school in one of the roughest areas of town. This job has opened my eyes to the greatest single need in our country today. So many Christians and churches spend so much money going overseas or doing a service project one Saturday a year and calling that missions, and it is missions. But here is a mission field desperate for workers, for hope, for healing and they are right there on our doorstep and we basically all but ignore them. This job has really shown me that if churches want to reach their city, reach the schools. There is no place in any city with greater needs and a greater amount of people spanning different ages, races, geographical areas and socioeconomic status'.
I am feeling more and more, God's calling on my life to work in this type of environment. It is one of those things that has been right under my nose, but I have been ignoring it. I have been blind to it maybe. Sure, it would be fun to work with students in a church, going on mission trips, and lock-outs, etc, but is that what the Lord wants of me? I have loved the job that I have now. I love my kids and my heart aches for their stories and difficulties and I just do not think it would be possible to know there is a need out there so great and ignore it.
I do not know exactly what the Lord wants, because I do not exactly feel called to be a inner city school teacher, but the Lord is brewing something in my heart and I trust that he will open a door for me and show me what He wants. It is in this place, this middle school that I have seen what a difference it can make in the life of one kid, who would have no resources otherwise, have someone come along beside them and believe in them enough to pour into their lives.

Here are some pictures of some of my kids in Drama class. They had props and costumes that they could put on to act out their parts....HILLarious!


0 comments: