12.07.2009

Africa in 5 days

I leave for Africa on Friday. It feels exciting. It feels very crazy. It feels scary. This trip has been such a last minute thing that I have had little time to really prepare for it either logistically, mentally or spiritually. I just found out about it, knew I couldn't say no because its something I have always dreamed of and said yes and here I am.

I have learned a lot about traveling to Africa and I haven' even left yet. Below is a list of my discoveries.
1. There are really no diseases known to man that you cannot get in Africa, specifically in Ethiopia.
2. It is expensive to not die of a deadly disease. Vaccinations cost a small fortune.
3. For a relatively fair price you can get medical travel insurance in case you die or are dismembered and your relatives with to have your parts back.
4. You can get into Africa without proof you have had a Yellow Fever vaccination but they will not let you leave.
5. There is only one place in Africa that you can fly to directly from the United States and other than that you have to fly to Europe first.....turning an already VERY LONG flight into 2 VERY LONG flights.
6. You can purchase 50 Malaria vaccination pills for the same price as 2 tiny passport/visa photos- about 10 bucks. Somebody's pricing is way off.
7. Women can only wear skirts in Langano (where I will be). Skirts and tennis shoes....I am sure I will feel at the height of attraction.
8. The base cost of a plane ticket into Africa is actually less than $1000.00 until they tack on the almost $400.00 tax for who knows what.

Since I will be gone over Christmas I am trying to get my Christmas fix in first. In order to do this I have been doing all of the things listed below.
*Making and eating delicious holiday treats (this serves a dual purpose...packing on some pounds before I head out to keep me from wasting away in the event of sickness or lack of edible food)
-Toffee Bark
-Christmas M&M cookies
-Ginger cookies
*Watching Christmas movies
-Elf
-Its a Wonderful Life
-Christmas Vacation
-Home Alone 1 and 2
*Going to see Christmas lights
*Listening to Christmas music in the car
*I would say Christmas shopping, but a lack of money and a lack of time is ensuring that everyone is getting some kind of African trinket.....a mask perhaps?

0 comments: