8.19.2011

How you know you didn't get the job.

So I had an interview on Wednesday; my first interview since I lost my job. I am trying to work towards my alternative certification, which in the state of Georgia you cannot do until you have secured a teaching job....I find this a little backwards. If I could get a teaching job without being certified (having any qualifications) then why would I need to get my alternative certification? But they didn't ask me how to set-up the system, so you work with what you've got. I suppose I will just have to keep applying for jobs I don't qualify for and hope someone takes pity on me and trusts that I would be a good teacher just because I say so.
So, I got an interview for a high school English teaching job at a local Title 1 school. I saw the opening and emailed the principal. I told him I was not certified, but sent him my resume and my credentials and to my surprise, he told me to set-up an interview. Though I was hopeful, things did not go all that well. Below are the top 3...4 reasons I know I did not get the job:

Reason # 1) I interviewed with the principal and the 2 heads of the English department. For the first awkward minute they all reviewed my resume and the first words that were spoken to me went something like this, "Now it might be on here and I might just be missing it, but are you not certified in English?" Strike # 1

Reason # 2) They asked a total of 6 questions. The principal only asked 2 and didn't even really look at me. Strike 2

Reason # 3) The interview started at 11am. When I cranked up my car to leave the clock said 11:15am. Everything I read said the interviews normally last around 45 minutes. Strike 3.

Reason # 4) As if there needed to me a 4th strike, they were going to make a decision by today and I got no phone call or email....text message....telegraph....nada. Struck Out.

Oh well. Like I said, I have been out of a job for quite a while now and I have applied for lots of things and contacted lots of people and I haven't gotten a single bite, so at least it was nice to have an interview, even if it bombed. I am not really use to bombing things...I don't really like the feeling, but it happens to everyone.

I am just about at the end of my tolerance for unemployment. I do not handle idleness very well. I am getting quite stir crazy, so hopefully something will change soon.

0 comments: