8.26.2007

a different kind of homeless

Seminary housing is not your middle/upper class suburb. In fact, it is nestled in a very rundown area of town. Less than a mile away from my apartment, at the end of our street there is a man who lives in a storage unit. Yes, you read it right, he lives there. Its not exceptionally large, one you could store your extra car in. It is actually rather small. At night he will have the door open and when you look in, it is packed high with his belongings and there is a space cleared out in the middle with a chair. He has a bike, that I assume he rides to work. Last night I drove by and he was there. He was sitting at the edge with the door open petting a stray cat, or maybe it was his cat...who knows. I was so intrigued, that as I turned down my street I looked back to take one last glance and ran my car up on the curb. Everything was fine and I felt like an idiot, but I wasn't staring that stare that made him out to be some kind of anamoly, like an odd zoo animal. I am not sure why, but I am very interested in that man's life. Where is he from? how did he get here? How long has he lived like that? Is that his preference? Where is his family? Does he have faith? He lives at the edge of seminary property and I wonder, how many, if any, believers have ever befriended him. I wonder if he knows Jesus. I wonder what he would say if we asked him over for dinner one night. My heart is burdened for him.

1 comments:

Melanie said...

Let's ask him over for dinner. That way you could stare at him without having to drive us off the road :)