9.20.2011

5 months

This past week I hit the 5 month mark without a job. 5 months is a long time, but it feels like even longer. I wish that I could say that I did something awesome with those 5 months, like traveled to beautiful places that I have never been, but I didn't. I have spent a lot of time sitting in the house that I live in. It is hard to think about traveling when you have no income. I suppose when I get a job, that I will look back and wish I had done some more fun things with all of that free time.
In the last 5 months I have had moments and days where I felt hopeful that all of this was going to work out for the better and I have also had many days of discouragement and sadness. I have spent countless hours thinking about the path that brought me here and replaying in my head that fateful 10 minutes that seemed to have changed everything. It has not been easy and I have not enjoyed it, but maybe, just maybe, there is some light at the end of this tunnel.
After 5 months of filling out lots of applications, writing dozens of cover letters and emailing dozens of resumes with NO phone calls and NO interviews, I finally got some response. In the last 2 weeks I have had 2 initial interviews and a meeting with someone who is pushing my resume along in their organization. Tomorrow, I have second interview with one of the opportunities. And, I passed the GACE, which is SHOCKING to me. I swore up and down that I failed that test and I absolutely believed it. Passing that test opens up the door for me to Sub and to pursue alternative certification in the future if I want to teach.
I am by no means on a sure and steady career path, but at least I am on a path.
I would not have thought that I would be 28 and still have no career to speak of. Most people my age have been whatever they have been for about 6 years now, but that I just not how it has been for me and maybe that is okay. I am just glad to be a little closer to some kind of job with some kind of income. We will see soon enough!

0 comments: