8.26.2008

Cheap furniture 101

There are moments in life that make you feel good about being you. Ya know? Those moments when you know the answer to a question and nobody else does. Or those times where something is going wrong and you sweep in and with charisma (and humility of course) provide the solution every was looking for. I always enjoy the moments where someone asks me if I am in college and I get to say, "Why, I'm not in college. I am in Grad School" and I search the askers face for a sign that they are impressed.
There are also moments in life that make you feel like you should be back in kindergarten learning the basics of coloring in the lines. You think, "there is no way I'm in grad school" and "thank the Lord, nobody saw me do that." I feel as if I have more of these moments than the former. Today I set out to put together this bookshelf I got from Ikea, the world's leader in foreign, trendy, cheap furniture. They give you step-by-step instructions and they are really very simple. Its a bunch of boards, some wooden pegs and a screwdriver...a child could do this, really. So, I put this thing together, at a lightening fast speed. I took it into my room, set it where I wanted it and gasped as I saw my mistake. I had put not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 pieces on wrong, with the colorless backside facing forward. So, now I have two options 1. take it all apart (which i don't think is possible) 2. buy some paint. So much for easy assembly.





0 comments: