10.23.2008

Casting the Ballot


I performed my American duty this morning-I cast my ballot. I cast my ballot and I took an eternity to do it. I cannot recall the last time I was so conflicted about something as I was about this decision. This is the point where every staunch Baptist gasps and exclaims, "Are you serious? Didn't you know that if you're a Christian there is only one acceptable ticket to vote for and it starts with a "Re" and ends with a "Publican" I think that's the reason I am most conflicted...why is a republican ticket the "Christian ticket?" I can promise you I am not just spouting off ideas I have not thought through or things I have just heard other people say. I have agonized over this for months, wrestling with both sides of every issue in my heart since the tickets were announced. I have had endless conversations with people on both sides and people on the fence all of whom I respect very much. I think most Christians cast their ballot based on two key issues (both of which are important issues): abortion and marriage. Now lets look at this for a second. We want the government to regulate laws in these two areas that prevent other people (most of which are not Christians) from doing these things. We want the government to regulate Christian morals and tell people what they can and cannot do and yet what are Christians doing to protect the sanctity of marriage and the lives of the unborn? Christians have as high a divorce rate as the secular world. Christians, rather than suffer the shame of admitting they are pregnant or that they have a child who is pregnant will sneak in the cover of night and "take care" of the problem. If we as believers are motivated by neither law nor our salvation through Jesus to act counter-culture, what nerve do we have to expect the government to make laws that force others to do we do not do? Now I realize this is an over generalization, but this is still a real issue to consider. When have laws ever changed anyone? I mean we of all people should know that. We have the life of Israel right before us in the Word we hold dear reminding us that the law can't and was never meant to change hearts....Jesus changes hearts. And unless hearts are changed people will find a way. Do we want the government to regulate these things so that we can sit back and wring our hands and say our job is done? Do we want this so that we do not have to love our neighbor as ourself?

In many of my conversations with others more informed than myself or even others on the other side of the issue (and this is important because what good is it to only converse with those on "your side" of an issue) I have been asked, "What of the importance of helping other people? What about giving to the poor? What about building up a city and fighting for people's jobs and their health? Doesn't it seem as if these things line up much more with what Jesus spent his entire earthly ministry teaching about? Which candidate would we vote for if these things were important to us?

And if we were being honest with ourselves and we really were voting for a candidate based on morality, would John McCain be the best choice? Which candidate has been divorced? Which candidate left his wife for a much younger woman? Which candidate seems like he upholds "our family values"? I am not trying to judge the candidates, I am only trying to provide myself and others some honest perspective.

After reading this it may seem that you would know who I voted for, but you won't. I am not solid enough on any of these things, they are simply things I have been truly wrestling with. You want to know why I think most Christians have very little passion or conviction or knowledge about issues? Most have simply regurgetated what we have heard from someone else and never explored the other side with an open mind.

Ultimately the Lord is in charge of all of this. Paul is clear, "there is no authority except from God, and those that exist are instituted by God. For government is GOD'S SERVANT."

0 comments: