12.04.2008

7 days of Gratitude

The last almost 3 years have been brought some of the most difficult, ground shaking and trying times I have ever experienced. I have hurt a lot, cried a lot, wrestled a lot, run a lot, prayed a lot and asked "why" a lot. It has not always been easy to conjur up a spirit of gratitude. However, the closer I get to graduation day the closer I get to what feels like a stepping out of this difficult chapter of my life. And though this part was unbelievably tough at times, I have grown tremendously as a person and as a believer.
I have been unable to shake the message I heard at Second Baptist last week and in an effort to make peace and find closure and solace in the Lord's hand on my experiences these last three years I want to take the next seven days and for each day contemplate one thing I am grateful for about these last three years. Though it was tough and I would never elect to relive some of those experiences, with the Lord, there is always good at work and I want to take the next seven days to focus on it.

Brennan Manning says:

"The dominant characteristic of an authentic spiritual life is the gratitude that flows from trust—not only for all the gifts that I receive from God, but gratitude for all the suffering. Because in that purifying experience, suffering has often been the shortest path to intimacy with God."

0 comments: