12.31.2008

puppies

I am a dog freak. I love them. I have always loved them ever since I was a little girl. I grew up with dogs and I still remember my favorite childhood pup. Her name was Sam and she was a Brittany Spaniel. My dad had those kind of dogs because they were good to hunt with, but Sam was also a family dog. I cried my heart out when she died and I still remember it vividly.

Anyway, I have wanted a dog of my own ever since I moved away from home. I have been somewhat obsessed with the idea. Since I have lived in Seminary housing that has not been an option and moving out of that housing was also not an option. I mean who would pass up rent for $215.00 a month? So, the plan was to get dogs after graduation, and yes, I said, "dogs." My roommate and I both wanted one. We were going to graduate in December, travel for the holidays, return to Fort Worth and January and head to the pound, but that timeline was moved up a bit.

I got a call from my roommate on the 21st. She was at her family Christmas when her uncle mentioned that someone had abandoned a litter of puppies on his neighbors doorstep. She called me somewhat jokingly, but with a large hint of crazy excitement and I knew....she was going to go see them and I also new that seeing them meant bringing them home. Her whole family piled in the car and drove down to Galveston to "see" if these puppies were likely candidates. And no surprise to me, she called me in love. Part of the reason she new they were what she wanted was one of the four came walking out and she was the exact colors I always make a fuss over, black and white with freckles and patches. She knew then, and I knew that we had our two puppies. She chose the one boy in the litter who was playing with my little girl.

His name is Henry and her's is Cali. It was 8 days before I got to see them and it almost drove me crazy. It has actually turned out to be a great decision to get the puppies that we got. It has given us two full weeks of uninterrupted time with them to bond and start training. They are amazing. Both of them are everything puppies should be and more. I am already obsessed with them and I cannot wait to see what they turn out to be like, but right now I am enjoying every second of owning a puppy.

Meet Cali



At first they didn't know how to get on the deck and they would stick their paws up and whimper
They really enjoyed helping out with Christmas

0 comments: