4.02.2009

Fit Stix


Recently, I have been on the lookout for unusual things in the grocery store. It's a weird thing to do I know, but it has actually proved to be very interesting. It all started because I have to go to this tiny non-mainstream grocery store for work and there are all kinds of things there that you would not find in your local Kroger or Albertsons or whatever store is predominately shopped my middle to upper class folks.

This find, however, was at one of those said middle to upper class stores-Albertsons. Last night I went to pick up some things with my roommate and I found this on the baking aisle...Sunsweet Fit Stix, Plum flavored. If you try to google it you will come up with this website, which is promiting actual sticks that you hold while doing aerobics. They are marketing their product to the average consumer who is enticed by the NBA logo and the idea that one bite of this product and you would be on your way to athletic stardom. Maybe Fit Stix is an offcial sponsor of the NBA, who knows. If that didn't speak to you there is always the "100% Fruit Bar" plug that is calling the fit nut in you to act by purchasing this product and the fact that the name of the product actually contains the word "Fit."
Working against them however, is the picture of the shiny, juicy, NATURAL plum sitting right next to the 100% Fruit Bar. If someone was standing in front of me with a real plum in one hand and plum flavored stick of gum looking thing in the other, I am going to have to say I would choose the plum.
If you are into the Fruit Stix thing, however, you might be interested to know that Plum is not the only flavor-there are 2 more equally enticing fruit imitations, although I can't recall what they are at the moment. I think I will stick with the real deal and give up my dreams of becoming a fit NBA star- I was never much for fruit snacks anyway.

0 comments: