10.01.2009

once I was a pirate...


There are so many moments in our past that we would just rather forget or deny- the big mistakes we made, the embarrassing story your family member tells yearly at gatherings or the photo that makes you think, "What in the heck was I thinking."

The other day I was on the facebook page of one of my best friends from childhood. I noticed a picture her cousin had posted entitled "old pictures." It was a picture from Halloween when she was a kid and when I looked closer I noticed that I was also in the photo. My friend and I were pirates for Halloween-not princesses or something cute like bunnies-PIRATES.

My initial instinct was to hide this photo from the world and make sure nobody ever knows that I thought being a pirate for Halloween was a good idea. This photo proves several things though. First, it shows that our brains are not fully formed until much later in life. Second, it proves that even the strangest kids can turn out okay. We need a sense of humor about ourselves. I don't want to be embarrassed about a photo taken when I was a kid. I want to laugh about it and embrace it. I do wonder though if my poor mom laughed about it and embraced it. She probably wanted a cute little bunny or a princess and instead she got a one-eyed swashbuckler.

0 comments: