6.27.2010

an advertisement for covered wagons.

In the last post I mentioned something about sleeping in a covered wagon and how that deserved a post all to itself. Well here it is. So here is how the story goes. We are sitting in Chile's on the outskirts of Vegas and we realize it might be beneficial to find somewhere to stay. I pull out the IPhone and we begin googling campsites on the map. The only criteria was really a shower. We had hiked two days in the Grand Canyon and really wanted/needed a shower. We found this place called The Virginia Creek Settlement, which happened to be about where we needed distance wise.
I was looking at the website and they had a bunch of different options; cabins, motel rooms, campsites, tentcabins and......COVERED WAGONS! That is right folks......COVERED WAGONS! I probably said something like, "We should totally stay in a covered wagon! How awesome would that be to be able to say we stayed in a covered wagon!" At first, it was sort of a joke.....sort of...I might have been mostly serious the whole time! So, I called to see what they had available. The man said that they had a few tent cabins available and since the "covered wagon" was under the "tent cabin" option I just thought I would ask. The conversation went something like this:

Man: We have some tent cabins available...
Me: Do you have any of the covered wagons? (move phone away from face due to laughter)
Man: Why yes, we have one of those available.
Me: I'll take that......wait......(move phone away from face to ask Amy if that was okay, since it had "been a joke"....she said yes.....) Okay, yes we will take that.
Man: Okay, you will be in Covered Wagon #6. We will post a map on the front door since you will be in so late. And you don't need a key....there is no door on the wagon...just a flap you pull open.
Me: Laughing......got myself composed. Okay.....thanks so much. We are looking forward to it!

I am pretty sure I spent the last 6 hours of our drive grinning from ear to ear. I was so excited! It was everything I hoped it would be and more. It was awesome. Here are some pictures below of our covered wagon.




Did I mention that there was a river right outside the door? Well there was and it was amazing too.

So, if you ever find yourself near the east side of California and want to sleep in a covered wagon, Virginia Creek Settlement is your place!

0 comments: