6.26.2010

between the Canyon that is Grand and Tahoe.

After we left the Grand Canyon our next destination was Lake Tahoe. This is a good 13 hour drive, so we broke it up with a few stops along the way. The first stop was the Hoover Dam. It is beautiful and serves as the dividing state line between Arizona and Nevada.







Then it was a short 45 minute drive up over to Vegas to find food and propane camping fuel from REI. Shockingly, the propane fuel was easier to find than dinner was.
After searching for quite some time, wandering around Whole Foods and deciding it was too overwhelming and that corn tortillas were an unacceptable choice for tacos, we landed in a Chili's that was pretty much the last stop out of the city. Despite leaving the Grand Canyon quite early, we found ourselves eating dinner quite late in Vegas, which was still approximately 6 hours away from our final destination. We are quite the funny travelers.

Between leaving Vegas and arriving in Tahoe, we knew we needed to find a place to stay, so we began googling things on the Iphone and we found the most amazing place EVER. Why was it so amazing? We may have slept in a covered wagon....thats right, I said it.....a covered wagon. Because of the vast amazingness of this event I must refrain from posting about it here...it is worthy of its own entire post, which will come in the near future, but I wanted to wet your appetite and prepare you for what was to come.

About 30 minutes or so outside of Lake Tahoe we saw this little corner fruit stand where two guys were also selling firewood. We needed firewood for our camping excursions so we decided to pull over and buy some. The guy had me pull my car around...I told him I needed firewood for about 2 nights and he started grabbing it like a mad man...as if I told him I needed to build a house and not a fire. He brought one load and then another....I finally told him I thought that was enough and he assured me that it was not and that I would thank him later. About a tree's worth later, the back seat of our poor Nissan Versa looked like this....

The man also asked us if we wanted some fruit too and told us we should come over and try some. We hadn't really talked about buying fruit so we just kind of said maybe, but then got in the car and started to drive out a few minutes later. As we were passing them on the way out the same guy stopped us and wanted us to roll down our window. He handed Amy a little basket of cherries and said, "Here ya go, you tight asses!" Hilarious! We were both speechless...I am not sure that either of us said anything...and what would you say in response to that? "Thank you," just somehow doesn't seem appropriate. We were however, quite thankful, because the cherries were delicious.

0 comments: