1.27.2011

It's only been a week?

It was a week ago today that my friend and coworker Becka, died. It has been the longest week (really season) in the life of this church. I was talking to someone yesterday about Becka's death and I mentioned that it had been 6 days and then I had to stop myself and think about that because it felt like it had been months. It was an exhausting and trying week. As a staff we are still very much grieving, but we are also having to have those tough "who is going to pick up which part of her job" conversations and I hate that. It feels as if you are moving on and I don't want to move on yet. I don't want her name to come off everything. I was handing a family a ministry sheet on Sunday and circling this group that meets close to where they live and as I did that I noticed that Becka was the contact and I had to scratch off her name and email and add mine. Those types of things are not okay with me. Multiple times a day at work I have those moments where you go "Wait, surely that didn't happen." You know what I am talking about? Those moments where you mind is trying to catch up to reality, or grasp it?

I have been impressed with how our body at Grace and our staff have responded in the wake of this tragedy and I really do hope to see God bring some good things out of this. My biggest prayer is for the kids and Shane....for the tough road I know they are going to be on for a long time.

This is Becka and I in December in our tacky Christmas attire. It's blurry, which makes me sad, but I still like it.

0 comments: