1.11.2011

wielding a snow shovel.

Today, I did something I have never done before...I snow shoveled a driveway...my driveway. On Sunday night Atlanta got hit with the "Arctic blast of 2011" and the entire city has been shut down ever since. There was 6-8 inches of snow and all the roads are iced over. There is no milk, bread, produce or RedBox DVD's left in all of suburban Atlanta.
I came home today from my sister's house and turned into my driveway to go into my garage and got stuck halfway up. I backed down as far into the street as I could and hit the gas to try again and still could not get up. I did not want to leave my car in the driveway, so I decided something must be done. Here is what my driveway looked like before...

This was my instrument of choice.
Yep, it is an ACTUAL snow shovel. You might be wondering why any good Georgian would actually happen to have one of these lying around. It just so happens that my roommate's old roommate moved to Minnesota and as a parting gift some friends gave here this lovely snow shovel, which she loved so much she forgot to back and it has ever since been gracing the closet of my current home. It is actually covered in signatures and sweet little parting notes. Today it earned its keep because I have been watching people for days clear their driveways with tiny little garden shovels and I guarantee they wish they had this bad boy to do the duty. So, thank you Avivah...your shovel came in handy.


Here is a photo of the halfway mark.....


And since I figured my roommate would also appreciate being able to get into the garage, I went ahead and did the whole thing....though you can tell which side I started on...it seems I was a little lazier with the left side. But I was sweating and my arms were getting tired by then, so I did the best I could. Just for fun...here is the sign at the front of my neighborhood.

Well, and here is Cali playing in the snow.

1 comments:

Melanie said...

your neighborhood looks like a quaint little snow village!

Caleeee! Oh, that dog! I miss her half black face and that black leg! I love her so much!!!