5.05.2011

a surprise ending

I have always kind of liked surprise endings. Some surprise endings are good...while others are bad. I am always impressed in the movies when something completely unpredictable happens in the end. Lately, I have realized how often there are "surprise endings" in life. Most of the time days go by in a normal, predictable fashion, but we have no idea that tomorrow is going to throw us this massive curve ball that we never saw coming. The month of April came with a surprise ending. I spent some time in Europe visiting old friends and traveling around, which was amazing. It was one of those highlight of the year experiences. I got back from that trip and went back to work, assuming my new role in the student ministry at Grace and jumping back into emails, phone calls and planning. I worked 3 days and at the end of the 3rd day I was called into an impromptu meeting with my boss and head pastor and I was let go. A surprise ending. I never saw it coming, but who really ever sees something like that coming? I was shocked, and still am. It has been 3 weeks since that day and I have run back and forth through the full gamut of emotions so many times. I have done the "Why me?" and the "This isn't fair!" and all the other things you think. I have had 1000 conversations in my head with the people who let me go, thinking of all things I should have said (most of which are better unsaid). Mostly, I miss people. I miss my coworkers...some truly great people that I love. I miss my students and wonder if they wonder why I just suddenly disappeared. I am sad to have spent over a year doing something I didn't love, to have finally moved into something that I do love and to have lost the opportunity so quickly. The reason for the pink slip was financial, but no reason ever really makes you feel better.
In the days following the event I received lots of emails, texts and phone calls, which have been a great encouragement to me. I have been well supported by my family, friends and coworkers and have felt loved in a time of uncertainty and despair. In all of this the Lord has provided several conversations and people who have been able to lay a foundation of hope underneath the present feelings of sadness. This is a place where there is huge opportunity for lies to be spoken and to take root, which means it is also a place where truth can be spoken and I blessed to have some good people combating those lies with exhortation. I do believe that the Lord is leading me to something "better." Something that is a better fit for me....something that is more in line with my gifting....something that He has uniquely wired me to do. I think that in a few months or years I will look back and be amazed at how this "surprise ending" has led me into a greater story. Right now I am still grieving....moving forward, but still grieving. What is it that Matchbox Twenty says?....."Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end." I suppose we will see.

0 comments: