12.31.2005

A deadly disease



In his book, Desiring God, John Piper quotes Ralph Winter saying: "America today is a 'save yourself' society if there ever was one. But does it really work? The underdeveloped socities suffer from one set of diseases: tuberculosis, malnutrition, pneumonia, parasites, typhoid, cholera, typhus, etc. Affluent America has virtually invented a whole new set of diseases: obesity, arteriosclerosis, heart disease, strokes, lung cancer, venereal disease, cirrhosis of the liver, drug addiction, alcoholism, divorce, battered children, suicide, murder. Take your choice. Labor-saving machines have turned out to be body-killing devices. Our affluence has allowed both mobility and isolation of the nuclear family, and as a result, our divorce courts, our prisons and our mental institutions are flooded. In saving ourselves we have nearly lost ourselves."

I thought that I would write something after this, but now that I have typed it I have nothing else to say. I am silenced in the realization of two things; the first being that I am a carrier of this deadly disease and the second being that I, as a believer, have a larger responsibility than I have ever realized.

0 comments: