4.01.2006

Larger than life

"Never doubt that a group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed its the only thing that ever has."
-Margaret Mead
I wonder at the truth in this statement. Is it possible to "change" the world? Is that all it takes... .to be "thoughful" and "committed"? That sounds too easy. Then I watch a film like "Invisible Children" or "Erin Brokovich" or read stories about people like Martin Luther King, Coach Harold Jones (of Radio), Salome Thomas-El and Mother Theresa as proof that what Margaret Mead said is true. These acts may not have changed the world, but they changed and are changing the world of someone or someones.
I wonder if my life will have this same impact, if the Lord will awaken my heart to a "Radio" or a group of children in some city overseas, or a prostitute about to be stoned by her peers. And I wonder if I will be aware enough to think about something or someone other than myself, to be"thoughtful" about it. And I wonder if I will take it a step further and press foward and turn "thoughts" and "words" into actions...into commitment. It is one thing to talk about an issue, for anyone can do this (and most people do), but it is an entirely different story to act on something, to sacrifice for something, to give your life to something, to actually live up to your potential as a follower of Jesus.

0 comments: