8.11.2010

other's stories

I was reminded today of why it is really important to get to know people's stories. Our stories really do say a lot about who we are. The experiences we have had heavily shape our personalities and how we operate. This is why, many times, you can hear someone's story and instantly know that that is why they are the way that they are or they do things the way that they do them. Most people in life that you encounter that are really just difficult personalities to work with are that way because of something (or somethings) in their past. There is more than likely a story there. Too often we (I) jump to my conclusions about the person, label them as difficult and complain about the way that they are or how they do things, instead of using discernment, realizing that there is probably a story there and pursuing that in the person. When we know other's stories it is so much easier to have grace on them. We can operate out of a place of understanding rather than a place of annoyance or misunderstanding. We can love them in their weaknesses. I heard 2 stories today that helped me step into understanding. I was made aware of my need to be a better pursuer or other's stories, so that I can be a person of grace.

1 comments:

Melanie said...

Yay! I think this is one of the most important things in life! Maybe THE most important thing as far as human relationships go - UNDERSTANDING! It's my love-language. Haha. But seriously, you have realized a deep truth that I believe makes us more Christ-like when we practice it.