2.08.2011

I had no idea.

Groundhog day...a holiday I have never given any thought to...until recently. I was around a group of people at work recently who were talking about Groundhog day and whether or not he would see his shadow. As I was listening, I began to realize how truly bizarre this idea was and I started asking more questions. Quickly, I realized that there were a lot of things about Groundhog day that I didn't know. For instance, I had no idea there was actually "A" groundhog that yearly we all eagerly await a shadow sighting from. Not only that, but there are 2 of them and they have names. Punxsatawney Phil and General Lee. Another thing I was unaware of is that I live in the backyard of one of these said Groundhog super stars. General Lee lives at the Yellow River Game Ranch in Lilburn, GA, which I have passed driving maybe 50 times and had no idea that it existed. Their slogan is something about being like a zoo but better. I am not really sure how I made it 27 years without knowing any of these things. I still don't really understand this holiday at all, but I feel a little more informed than I was before. Regardless, I am glad that he "didn't see his shadow" and I really do hope that spring is right around the corner. I am weary of the winter cold and if it lingers much longer and I am still unable to run outside I may need a new wardrobe.

2 comments:

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

Little AJ!

You need to see the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray! Mel and Paul used to watch it a bunch. Yes, Spring will be sweet. :) I love you!

PS: Typing error in first comment so I deleted it. Don't do comments much and needed to preview. I miss you and Cal Dog!