2.11.2011

sorry Cali.

This past week I scheduled Cali a vet appointment. She went to the vet in Houston right before I moved here, so it had been a year since she had gone. I called around to all these vets and got different prices. Most of the vets were well over $100 just for the one year visit and shots. There was one that was right around $90 and then there was one, Loganville vet that quoted their price at $50. I stopped for a second and thought, "Huh....$50? That is close to $100 less than most other vets. Is this a vet in a box? Some kind of vet service out of the trunk of a car in a back alley?" I read some reviews and as reviews go there were some good and some bad on each one. There was no website for this cheap vet and now I know why. I decided to try it out. I mean it is hard to beat $50 and if it was terrible I would never have to go back. Well, I will say that this vet was the most ghetto vet I have ever been to and I have a few pictures to document my experience.

Here is the building. First, you have to follow these little plastic signs stuck on the corners of several streets with arrows pointing to the office. It was as if nobody really wanted you to be able to see what it looked like from a distance. There was not a soul in the parking lot. The shrubs and flower beds were filled with dead things. It looked like an abandoned building.

The inside also left something to be desired. There was nobody inside except for the one receptionist and apparently the one vet. This was on the front desk and I thought it was a microwave, but upon further inspection I realized it was an ancient radio with dials.
There was no computer system and actually, no computer in the entire building. They do the old school paper folder file system, which is pictured below.

To put the labels on these files they use a typewriter....that is right....an actual click, click, click, ding....typewriter.


And if first impressions in the waiting room were not enough, the Dr. came around the corner and I thought, "Oh my, where have I come?" This guy looked like Dr. Frankenstein for dogs. He was a VERY large middle aged man, with raggedy scrubs on. When we got back to the exam room I saw his face closer and the guy had a BLACK EYE! A black eye! The whole left side of his face was yellow and blue.

This is a picture of the shelves in the room. They were extremely junky with crap all over them. Note the dirty spray bottle with the word "Roccal" written on it in the bottom left corner of the picture. What in the world is in that nasty bottle?

When I came out to pay the receptionist was on the phone. She was quoting the visit price for the person she was talking to and I heard her say, "Yes, most vets are more expensive, but we are kind of a no frills office." I wanted to say..."No frills is an understatement!" She put this guy on hold so she could check me out and when I handed her my card she said, "Oh, well I actually have to clear the line to run your card." Seriously? Dial up? Unbelievable.

The man was nice and he was sweet with Cali. We got out of there alive and only paid $50 to do it. I appreciate the price, but I am just not sure whether it was worth it.

1 comments:

Melanie said...

no Cali picture?! If you're going to do a vet post, I'm going to need a Cal-dog picture. :)Poor Little Girl.