4.15.2010

the faces of appreciation

Appreciation is a funny thing. I thought about appreciation a lot this week because we spent the week planning and getting ready for our annual volunteer appreciation banquet we held last night. Here are a few definitions of appreciate that I really like.

to grasp the nature, quality, worth, or significance of : to admire highly : be fully aware of : to recognize with gratitude

We can appreciate different things in our lives; as in I appreciate air conditioning in the summer or I appreciate it when slow drivers choose the right lane over the left or when people hold the door open for you in stores instead of letting it slam in your face. Things like these are all fine and well to appreciate, but the above definitions seem to lose their power when talking about air conditioning and slow drivers. What they really make me think of is people. Last night's banquet was all about showing appreciation for people. I want to be a greater appreciator of people; not just for what they do, but for who they are. I want to make sure I grasp the true quality and worth of others, always remembering that others are not there just to serve me. I want to admire others highly and recognize them with gratitude. I want to be fully aware of who they are and appreciate the way the Lord has made them and allowed me to know them.
So, in honor of that, here is a quick list of just a few people in my life right now I can say with all sincerity I feel a deep appreciation for.

I appreciate my sister because of the amazing way God has made her, because of how graciously she loves me and others and because she is someone to me admired.
I appreciate my brother-in-law because he is a man chasing hard after the Lord, because of his heart towards people and because of the great influence he has had in my life.
I appreciate my mom for too many reasons to list.
I appreciate Amy Lahey for her welcoming and loving heart towards me, for providing spontaneous fun and a safe space.
I appreciate Jody Hoffman for the challenging way she lives transparently in order that Christ would be made known through her.

2 comments:

amy said...

And I appreciate YOU, lovely lady! I appreciate your hilariousness, your love for ice cream, the fact that you are ridiculously fun to be around, your affinity for the British accent (which I got called out on AGAIN at work yesterday...), the way that you make lists, your willingness to make the drive back and forth to hang out, and the way that you make me feel loved (like stay-up-all-night-to-get-ready-for-night-shift and ridiculously amazing birthday plans). There are some other reasons, too, but that's a start. Love you, friend!

amy said...

Please add the following to the list:

Thing #778 - redesign AJ's blog to eliminate random Latin text.

(P.S. Noticed that you got rid of the picture labeled "Picture")