3.03.2011

surprise trophy, yet again.

Every year Young life puts on Run the Reagan; a half marathon, 10k, 5k and 1 mile fun run to raise money. Grace helps sponsor it. One of my coworkers and I decided to run the 5k just for fun since we get free entries. I also talked my sister into running it, though she hates to run. We started and a few minutes in my sister decided to drop back and slow down (which she told me she would do) and about the 1.2 mile mark my other friend decided to walk a little, which left me on my own. I was feeling pretty good, so I just kept running and finished the race. We talked for a while and then left. I jokingly said that maybe I should stay and see if I won an award. Two weeks later I am talking with my sister when she says, "Hey. I saw that you got third place in your age group! Good job!" I laughed so hard. I had no idea and she had no idea that I didn't know. The main reason that this is so funny is that this is the 3rd race that I have done, with zero intention or expectation of winning anything, that I have won a "surprise trophy." If Lauren hadn't told me I probably would have never known. It isn't like I even ran these races all that fast.
This is so funny to me. Here is my trophy. I am going to have to start a surprise trophy wall in the spare room in my house.

0 comments: