3.01.2011

coffee with grandpa.

I am sitting in Starbucks (a different one from yesterday) waiting for a meeting, and in walked this girl probably college-aged with an elderly man. My assumption is that this is grandfather and granddaughter, but I could be wrong about that. They ordered coffee and breakfast and sat down. It was weird, but I couldn't stop watching them and for some strange reason it triggered this emotional response in me. Not a negative response, but more of a "wow, what a beautiful picture that is....a grandfather spending time with his granddaughter and how sweet that is for both of them." It seemed like such a treasured moment. I don't know about you, but I don't often see people with such a huge generation gap spending time together. My personal experience was not one of spending time with my grandparents at all. I don't know if it was the lack of this picture in my life or the beauty of what that moment was that triggered the almost teary (I did not start crying in Starbucks) response in me or a combination of the two. I do know that for a moment I wished I could be sitting down in front of my granddad, sharing a coffee and talking about life; past, present and future.
There is this couple that has really taken hold of their role as grandparents leaving a legacy in the lives of their grandchildren. Every summer they do a grandparent's camp for their grandkids and she has written a book about how to do that. They are an amazing couple. To learn more about their story click here.

0 comments: