9.20.2010

in need of marathon motivation.

I am seriously struggling with my marathon training. I started out quite hopeful because training for my 10k back in May went well and training for my first Half Marathon in August went well. I finished that race in a faster time than expected and thought that would put me ahead of schedule for marathon training, but I may have digressed since then. Here is what I have realized....
training for a full marathon is much more difficult and time consuming that training for a Half. The longest I ever ran before the half was 10 miles, which took about an hour and a half. With this one I have to run that weekly at least once, plus a longer run on the weekend. I am finding that I don't really want to run for 2 1/3...3 hours....EVER. It is hard to find routes that long where I can get water and food and a bathroom if necessary, that aren't 18 laps around a park. I also don't want it to consume my life, which it very easily can. I knew going in to this that I would probably really like the half and want to do them more and that the full might be a one time thing, so I can say I did it. So far this is very much the case. I am having to remind myself why I am doing this. I am not doing this for my comfort or even for my own personal achievement. I am doing it to help cure diabetes. I am doing it in memory of my dad and in honor of my sister and brother. I am doing it to sacrifice something in hopes of sharing in what they are experiencing and have experienced.
Keeping this perspective for the next month and half will help. An Ipod or a running partner or someone willing to ride beside me in a golf cart and hand me water would probably help as well. I would settle for just one of those things at this point. 16 miles is boring and difficult without those things.

0 comments: