9.21.2010

rest in peace ottoman.

Whenever I am driving and I see a random piece of furniture on the side of the road or interstate, I always wonder how it is possible to lose an entire chair, sofa or mattress and not even realize it. I mean, isn't it funny to drive by a sofa on the side of the road? I think pretty condescending things like, "Idiot. Why didn't he tie down his crap? Why didn't he come back and get it?" Well...you know that whole Biblical idea of being judged by the measure you judge....well I am that person now. I moved some furniture yesterday in the back of a truck. Lauren and I loaded it all by ourselves and were really proud of our efforts. Drove it all 25 miles to it's new home. Unpacked it all. I drove to church that night and then back to the house afterwards and had no idea I was missing anything until my friend said, "Hey. Where is the ottoman?" I looked for it......no where. I then reasoned that I hadn't packed it and called my sister who reassured me that I had, in fact, packed it. This left the only other option being that my ottoman was somewhere on the side of the road, where it had been for the past 6 hours, unbeknown to me. I hopped in my car and road up and down the route to no avail. The precious ottoman to my chair is gone. Someone must have picked it up and probably at this very moment has their feet propped up on it. This is sad for many reasons; the first of which being that that is my favorite part of that chair and one of the reasons I bought it. I wanted a big chair and ottoman I could put my feet up on. It matched and everything. Sad day. I now have to buy one.

I will say, that I would have loved to have been driving along behind someone (at a safe distance of course) and seen an ottoman fly out of the back of a truck. I think that though it was tragic for me, maybe it was funny to someone else.

0 comments: