9.28.2010

the terrible 2's

Since she was a little puppy, my dog Cali has had a separation anxiety problem. You saw a little bit of it here and here. She destroys things and she salivates excessively in her crate and at back doors, when she is outside. This has been a massive source of stress for me as a dog owner. I can't crate her because every time I do, whether for an hour or 5 hours, I come home to a soaking wet dog and a soaking wet crate. I can't not crate her with a free conscience because she tends to periodically destroy things.

A few weeks ago, I crated her at my friend Amy's house and to my absolute surprise, came home to a dry crate. I thought this was a fluke and the next time she was crated...same thing....DRY. Since then, her crate has been dry every time and her salivation at back doors has decreased. It is an amazing thing! Maybe since she is almost 2 she is growing out it....maybe. One can hope right?

0 comments: