12.10.2006

Neat Christian boys

I was listening to another Matt Chandler sermon today and so many times he just slips in a little word about something and it will penetrate so deep. He was making a little aside that had little to do with the bulk of his sermon, but he began addressing the single ladies in the crowd about the massive influence that their future husbands would have on their children's spiritual life. And he urged us to be patient and then said this, "There are a lot of 'neat' Christian boys out there, but so few godly men." And I thought man, that is so true, but it is true for girls as well. Christian culture has its own "cool" sect that operates under the same rules as the world. There are loads of "neat, trendy, hip, attractive, Christian guys" who haven't the first thought of what it means to be a man of God. They don't pray. They don't seek. They don't study. They don't do all things or much of anything to the glory of God. They don't stand for what is right and lead with no compromise. They don't impact the world around them. They don't love unconditionally and serve those in need. They strut around with the trendy covered bible and band boy t-shirts.
Now before you think I am simply bashing the male species let me say that when I heard this truth in the sermon I immediately thought, "Lord, do not let me be simply a neat Christian girl! I want to be a godly woman!" Let what defines me be a heart consumed by the love of Jesus and a life marked by obedience to the Holy Spirit!

2 comments:

Ian and Sally said...

Amen. I'm equally frustrated by the "neat" crowd. I too pray that we will be godly men and women.

Katie said...

this is so, so true. I've often thought of the same things since high school. good thoughts Matt, and AJ. :-D