12.30.2006

Trophies

The bible speaks quite point blank on the issue of empty pursuit and how it became the main focal point of all humanity at the fall of man, where we exchanged the Creator for created things. It is no secret that we are in love with the things of the earth. Simply drive through the area of Suburban Atlanta and you will see the amassing of earthly treasure in the form of the biggest houses, if they can be called that, I have ever seen. As a human race we live like this is it man, "Get yours while you can cause this is as good as it gets."
Why the soapbox on earthly treasure you may ask? I got interested in it today when my mom and I began cleaning out our attic. An hour turned into a few hours and by the end of it we had taken an entire truck load of junk to the Salvation army and another load to the dump. I sat up there going through "stuff" (I mean if its in the attic, where I never get stuff down do I really need it?) and I just had to laugh. There was a box full of trophies that caught my attention and all I could hear was the scripture in my head...
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal."
Matthew 6:19
These trophies were my dad's and some of my brother's from little league. They were just collecting dust in an attic. I have this line of trophies on my shelf and this other line hanging on my wall from high school athletics and academics and I remember how proud I was of getting them and how good it made me feel about myself. I had worked hard and someone had noticed. They mattered so much at the time. I realized today how futile that is. My trophies, like my father's, will one day be looked at in an old dusty attic and tossed out.
King Solomon talks about this the most when he sets out to do this experiment under the sun. Much can be learned from his toil documented in Ecclesiastes. Why do we fill our lives with useless trinkets?

0 comments: