8.10.2006

Eggs and other Issues

Hokay so, I was watching a classic movie the other night, one I have seen many times, and I caught a wonderful quote right in the middle of it that I had never heard before. The movie was Fried Green Tomatoes and if you've seen it you will know that a lot of it is about racicism. The two main characters open a cafe and all their other hired help are "colored folk" as they call them. The colored folk have to eat out back, but they still serve to them. This angers many of the people in the town. The sheriff, Grady, (who is good friends with them) comes in and lets them know people are angry and it might hurt their business. After he leaves their little colored cook says, "It don't make no sense. Grady won't sit next to a colored child, but he'll eat an egg shot right out of a chicken's a*$.
Okay A. that is just the funniest thing I have ever heard...I laughed so flippin hard. And 2. There is so much sense in that statement about how so many of the things we do and think don't make sense. We are so stupid. We put so much effort into arguing about and avoiding things that don't matter and yet we eat eggs. So, next time you think something is unacceptable or socially important, remind yourself that you eat eggs and then see if that issue is still a big deal. We are a funny people.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I LOVE THAT PART OF THE MOVIE. I laugh every time...I'm glad someone else picked up on it as well...you make me smile AJ Jordan. :-)

A.J. said...

Man...I NEED me some Katie Hogue. We are pees in a pod, except we have been in different pods some time now and it is starting to iritate me!!!