8.26.2006

Randomness in Ft. Worth

"Your task as a communicator is not to impress people, but to IMPACT them; not just to convince them, but to CHANGE them."

"You can impress people at a distance. But you can impact them only up close."
Dr. Howard Hendricks from Teaching to Change Lives


So, lesson number one of a seminary education..."I DON'T KNOW A DARN THING!" Yep that is right. I have been here a week and that is the thing I have learned over and over again so far. I am surrounded by people who are here because they know everything (which is funny in itself because if it were true why would we be here?) and yet in the first week you learn that you are PRIDEFUL and really dont know much of anything or either you are oblivious and totally go on believing that you do and making everyone in your classes hate you.

Anyway, I had to read this book for one of my classes, the one quoted above and it is fantastic! Everyone should read it, everyone who is going to teach, any type of teaching needs to read this book. It was so good.
Texas is still hot as not heaven, don't worry. It was about 108 and I tried to run today....IDIOT. I have only been here a week, but I feel like I have been here forever. I did meet this girl and guy randomly in the cafe the other day and they asked me to come play ultimate that night at like 9:30. It was awesome...apparently its a thursday night thing. They got nothin on the lucky ducks, but then again who does? It was a dynasty and those are hard to come by.
I still hate Texas and I miss my family and friends and Clemson, but all in all it doesn't suck too awful bad yet. Ha.

If you have gotten to the end of this I have a task for you. Find somebody random....someone you have never talked to before...maybe someone at work or whatever. Be proactive, walk up and introduce yourself...skip the small talk and ask them about thier story. Watch and be astounded at what you learn from a life, much more than you will learn in a classroom!

4 comments:

Katie said...

"quack, quack, quack, quack....DUCKY DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!" haha...'twas a dynasty was it not?? Represent for us down there in the lone-star state AJ. Show 'em how it's done in the silver bullets. (haha, I still remember the day you bought those...I was with you and as soon as you put them on your feet I said...'it's like they're silver bullets!' - and yep, it pretty much stuck. gotta love those moments). Gotta love you, AJ. We should talk. soon. let's make that happen. I'm gonna miss you Saturday at the Clemson game :-( I'll do the 'de-fense' and 'GO!' cheers all by myself, sense no one else in the stadium is consistent with them like we are. haha.

Katie said...

ok, I'm an idiot. change that 'sense' that I wrote to 'since' -- I should proof-read these things before I "login and publish" - haha. dang those homonymns...

Ian and Sally said...

A great big QUACK from New England. I've been playing ultimate up here, and I wear my Ducky jersey often. It always scores comments and laughs. Keep it up AJ. I've been in seminary for an eternity (or so it seems), and I still feel like I don't know anything. But I guess it's better to have that frame of mind than the opposite. We'll never know anything, relatively speaking. At least not here. 1Cor 1:25. Peace.

Anonymous said...

AJ- it's Holly. Yes, Betty Crocker Holly. I came here because I saw the link on facebook. I have so enjoyed reading this and wish you the best at SW. Have you looked up Jay Harley? You know he's still around there. Best wishes to you. Love always-