3.26.2010

i like food.

Meals here have really been few and far between. Last night it was 10:30 before we ate any dinner and we hadn't even eaten lunch. We have just been busy and not done much eating, which is actually probably good for my body (I could stand to lose a few) and my running training. However, if the past few days have been famine, today was surely feast.

This is Knafeh pictured below, (which is spelled multiple ways) a middle eastern desert. In this picture it kind of looks like pizza with worms on top....which is gross...but it is actually gloriously delicious. It is a pastry that has cheese on the bottom, philo dough in the middle and a lightly sweet syrup on top with some crumbled up pistachios. After heading to East Amman today to see the Citadel (pictures to come it was amazing) we dashed into a little bakery where the girls introduced me to this treat. I have to make a point to have this again before I leave.

Today for dinner, I was exposed to a Jordanian delight called "booty bread"...this is not how they spell it, but this is how it is said and it is hilarious to say so we will go with it. It was a thin, fried, tortilla like thing and you dip it in hummus and olive oil. It was also amazing. This is Audrey holding up the booty bread.

Though I haven't eaten a ton of authentic middle eastern food since I have been here, I have liked everything I have tried....well, most everything ;)

Tomorrow morning I leave with the two oldest DeWitt girls and a college grad from Midtown to head down to Petra for a day and then Aqaba (the Red Sea beaches) for 2 nights. I am really looking forward to this. I have been to the place where Moses and the children of Israel are ending their journey and tomorrow I will be where it all began, the parting of the Red Sea on the borders of Egypt and Saudi Arabia. It will be neat to try and recreate in my mind and vision what that must have been like first to watch the seas part and then the Egyptians get swept away and then turn around and look ahead towards endless desert and an uncertain future. I am quick to judge the Israelites because I can't imagine doubting God after seeing the seas rise and part to my deliverance from certain death and yet, on my best day, I am really no different at all. Maybe a deeper level of humility will come from standing where they stood.

3 comments:

amy said...

Umm...I am glad that you told me that the thing in the first picture is yummy, because you are right - it looks disgusting. But, I will take your word for it. And it seems to me that you should be used to meals that are few and far between by now, since you only eat cereal anyway... ;-)

A.J. said...

touche my friend.....touche! You forgot peanut butter and bananas and icecream though, my tastes are somewhat broader than you give me credit for ;-)

amy said...

OK, sorry...I did forget those things. You can have credit for those, too.

Can I also say that the new profile picture is a little scary? I like the sassy face a lot better...