3.28.2010

petra....not the band.

Today, I saw the neatest place I have ever seen...Petra. It is one of the seven wonders of the world, or seven wonders of the ancient world, or maybe "new" seven wonders of the world, or maybe it didn't make the "new" list...not sure, but regardless it was amazing. I have uploaded some pictures from today...these are a couple of just okay pictures that do not do the site justice at all. I just kind of walked around in awe all day of everything I saw...of this city that is basically chiseled into a series of desert mountains in Southern Jordan. I think, on some level, I see ancient history more like ancient fiction and I have a really hard time imagining those people of those time periods actually existing. We then made our way to the Red Sea to stay in this Bedouin Village....kind of resort (using the word resort VERY loosely) area. I drove....my first international driving experience....crazy! Police are stationed all up and down the roads and if they think (and I really mean think bc they don't have radar guns so it is totally subjective) you are speeding they step out into the road with this little plastic sign that says stop and they wave you over. Thankfully, this did not happen while I was driving because I also forgot my passport and had to go through a checkpoint without, but thankfully they guy didn't check.
Tomorrow....the beach. Enjoy the photos.

Elephant carved out of the wall
This is the Treasury. It is the main building people think of when they see Petra. You walk down this narrow cavern and suddenly, in front of you, is this......I am pretty sure my jaw dropped and I just couldn't speak. It opens up into the mountain, but you can only go up to the door. I mean really...I struggle to construct one of those little tooth pick houses and people were able, with no craftsmen tools or Sears, to produce works of art like this one. God made man a very talented being.

This is an massive amphitheater carved out of the mountain....ridiculous. This picture does nothing to capture this and it is only one small part, but each of those lines is a set of seats chiseled out and then there are box seats up top and a platform down below where people would fight or be killed.

Arab man playing an instrument (not really much more to say about this one...)
Camels....not sure I would ever get us to seeing these in real life.

Not even sure how this happens...how a tree grows up out of the mountain in the desert, and yet, here it is.

1 comments:

amy said...

Confession: I suck at both geography and history and definitely had no idea what Petra was until you started mentioning it. I looked it up on Wikipedia to figure it out. Apparently the BBC thinks that it is one of "the 40 places you have to see before you die." So, now you can check that one off of your list...