5.26.2010

the Kingdom and special ed kids.

On the last day of the school year, my sister and all of the other special ed teachers at South Gwinnett High, have a field day. They split their kids up, each team has a name and a mascot, and they compete in games. I had the privilege to go this morning and participate in the first half of it. As I was watching and cheering it hit me hard how the work that my sister is doing is completely the Kingdom of God in action. What I mean is, there is this whole misunderstood and somewhat ostracized demographic of people in our world, and God has called her to minister there. He has called her to walk into their world with the light of the Kingdom, and she is doing that boldly and beautifully. Many people would probably think that field day for kids who are in wheelchairs, or kids that can't run well, or talk well, is a silly idea, but its not. I watched the faces of those kids....their joy...their excitement...I watched this one kid in his chair get so excited that he was clinching his fists and bouncing up and down. She has invited them out of a pushed aside, ostracized place and into normal life. She has also done this by establishing a thing called "Best Club" at South, where she connects regular students with special ed students. Again, she is carving out a place for them to just be "normal." She is bringing the Kingdom there and it is a beautiful and fun to watch. For those things, she is teacher of the year in my book! Below are some pictures of the fun festivities!




0 comments: