5.05.2010

a marathon is how many miles?

I have always kind of been achievement oriented. Every year I try to set goals for myself; either things that I want to do or things I want to accomplish. I have always wanted to run a half and a full marathon. I love to run and I love a challenge, so it seems like something I would have already done, but for some reason I never have. I began training for a half last summer and never finished. Around the beginning of September is when Lauren was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Pretty immediately I knew that I wanted to do something to both support her and fight back. This disease has just made such a huge impact on my entire family that it did not sit right with me to not partake in something that was pushing back the darkness of diabetes. I started looking at organizations that put on races, both running and cycling races. First, I found the group JDRF, which puts on these bike rides for the cure in locations all over the country. You raise around $4,000 and ride up to 100 miles. The last one of the season was in November and I was so close to signing up, but realized there was no way I could raise the money in time. These JDRF rides just so happen to be what Lauren and Trey have decided to do. Their ride is at Lake Tahoe in September and they are currently raising money and doing an amazing job! After that, I found this group called the Diabetes Action Team. They have 2 teams and each team participates in one of two races; the Chicago marathon and the Marine Corp marathon in D.C. You sign up through the team, raise a minimum of $500, and you run the race. These races are in October and by then it was too late to register and train, so I decided to wait.
Since, it was one of my goals for 2010 to run a half and a full marathon, I combined the two things and last week signed up for the Marine Corp Marathon in D.C., through the Diabetes Action Team. The spots were running low and I knew if I didn't sign up I would be upset at myself, but I also had this moment before hitting the register button....."Do I really want to do this?" But I did. One of my roommates is a work out machine and she does triatholons and it actually doing a half ironman this weekend, which is crazy. She is also signed up. Her family lives there and her sister is running it too, so that will be motivating for sure. While I was running my 10k last Saturday and realizing that the marathon was more than 4 of those....I second guessed my decision, but it will a great goal to work towards and I think I can do it....maybe.....we will see.

3 comments:

amy said...

you can do it!! i totally have faith in you, friend!

amy said...

by the way...i think it's 26.2 :-)

Lauren Boden said...

You can do it! You can do it! I will drive the car behind you and help you train!