5.31.2010

memorial day.

Memorial Day is a day where we stop and remember. We remember people who were once here and are here no longer. Specifically, these are people who are no longer here because they gave their life for something greater than themselves; they saw a greater victory than long life....they gave their life, so others could live long and well. I think that losing people through death is the most difficult thing we face in this life. It is difficult for us to grasp that someone is no longer here...it almost doesn't compute within our hearts. It is one of those things that happens here that I think really shows us that things are not as they should be. Something in our soul stands up in protest when a death occurs. I am not talking about, "Oh why this person;" I am talking about all people....anybody.
When we lose people our life continues to move forward, but it often feels like part of our heart is stuck in the past. We move forward and we are unable to go back or slow down time. I have often found myself with some deaths wanting to plant my feet into the dirt and not move further away from that moment as if moving forward moves me further away from them. Now I am a believer and I understand the future glory of heaven and will be very glad to be there and I want to be living here looking towards there, but I also think that this is one of those tough things about being human. This is one of those places where we can clearly see the "already but not yet"......the fact that all things are subjected, but we do not yet see all things subjected. So, we try out best to offer up our pain in faith to the One who understands all that we walk through and we try to open our hearts to others who can walk beside us and we "memorialize".....we remember those who are no longer here.

1 comments:

amy said...

love. lots of it.